IEC Work Permits

Depending on your country of citizenship, you could be eligible to apply in one, two or three of these categories:


If you’re a Canadian citizen aged 18 to 35, International Experience Canada (IEC) offers you the opportunity to work and travel abroad. IEC provides you a path to a work permit or visa to work and explore in one of over 30 countries and territories.

The three IEC work permit categories

  • Working Holiday: This extremely popular, flexible open work permit allows you to travel and work in Canada for 12 months (and up to 24 months depending on your country of citizenship). An open work permit isn’t job-specific, which means you can work for any employer anywhere in Canada. Unlike most work visas, you don’t even need a job offer before applying for a Working Holiday permit. (Dozens of countries signed bilateral Working Holiday program agreements to allow young travelers to explore different countries and work to supplement their funds. 
  • Young Professionals: This work permit is a great opportunity to gain relevant professional experience in Canada. You must first find an employer in your field in Canada and get a formal offer of employment. Depending on your country of citizenship, you could be allowed to work in Canada for 6-24 months.
  • International Co-op Internship: This work permit gives students the opportunity to complete a paid or unpaid—a work permit is required in both cases—internship in Canada. Students could stay in Canada for 6-12 months, depending on their country of citizens.